Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Adoption Awareness Month-our family is complete Part 1

SO most of you know that adoption is a very important part of my life as my sweet niece Zoe and my only nephew Zack are adopted from Columbia, South America. I have wanted to post about this for some time but chose to wait till November and closer to Thanksgiving to tell you a little about their story. In 2 parts so stay tuned for part 2
I will never forget the day I first found out that I was going to be an Auntie again...but this time is was my oldest brother Steve and his wife Maria. Now let me back things up even further....Maria had been in our family including dating my brother from the time I was almost 10 years old. So there really was not too much "Pre-Maria" that has happened to our family up to this point.I was living in Boston at the time working as a Nanny. I just happened to be upstairs having dinner with the fam when the phone rang....on the other end the voice cracking said "Hey Auntie Beth"....I was not so sure who this was ..then I figured out it was Maria. They had gotten notice that a baby was born and had ben picked out to be theirs. That was a phone call that brought me to my knees and to tears(of course). The way the agency worked in columbia the birth parents had 1 month so that is how long it would take S&M to get all the international paper work together and head on out. What an exciting time in the lives of our family......especially since this was going to be the first boy grandchild(and W's only boy cousin...still).
I will never forget when my sister and I drove to CT to meet our baby boy for the first time...I never thought for one minute :Oh this is my adopted nephew...." He just was Zackary and he just was my nephew...I knew from that moment on what families feel all over the world when GOD makes a family complete. I knew from that minute that GOD had made this perfect little person to make them a family and I was in love from that minute on. I have a picture that I keep in my album that they sent out to people sorta as an annoucement..it is the nurses presenting my brother and Maria, Zackary for the first time...that room is called the delivery room. HOW APPROPRIATE is that? I mean those of us who can tell stories of hospital delivery rooms have no idea that all over the world there are these special rooms exist---where a mother gets to hold her baby for the first time...a baby that they prayed and longed for...a baby that makes life just seem a little better...sweeter.
What was it that made them want to go back.....to make Zack a big brother...but when??
stay tuned!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Wonderful story! I can't wait to hear the rest!

Erin said...

As an adoptive mom, I LOVE your post! My girl was 5 when she became mine, but she was mine instantly. She is 7 now and we are thinking of adoption through our state foster system again. It is a road filled with headaches, heartaches, and some frustration but it is SO worth it!