Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bittersweet

"When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate. And when life is bitter, you say thank you and grow."
AN excerpt from my book that I'm reading could not come at a more PERFECT time in my life of changes around me-enjoy these words of encouragement

"The idea of bittersweet is hanging the way I live, unraveling and re-weaving the way I understand life. Bittersweet is the idea that in all things there is both something broken and something beautiful, that there is a sliver of lightness on even the darkest of nights, a shadow of hope, in every break, and that rejoicing is not less rich when is contains a splinter of sadness.

Bittersweet is the practice of believing that we really do need both the bitter and the sweet. Sweet is nice enough, but bittersweet is beautiful, nuanced, full of depth and complexity. It's courageous gutsy, audacious, earthly.

This is what I've come to believe about change: it's good, in the way that childbirth is good, and heartbreak is good, and failure is good. I've learned the hard way,t hat change is one God's greatest gifts, and most useful tools. Change can push us, pull us, rebuke us, and remake us. It can show us who we've become, in the worst ways, and also in the best ways. I've learned that it's not something to run away from, as though we could, and that in many cases, changes is a function of God's graciousness, not life's cruelty."

No comments: